Years ago, when I was about 14 years old, I attempted to make chocolate chip cookies. With not much knowledge of anything baking-related I went for it whole-heartedly and, well, you can probably guess how they turned out… Yeah, not great. They were really hard and it didn’t help that I didn’t know how much dough would be adequate for a decent sized cookie so they ended up spreading in the oven, turning the whole baking tray into one massive cookie-type-thing. So I told myself I wouldn’t try making cookies ever again and stick to buying them store bought. However, that was years ago right, so I decided to go for it again and as you can see from the picture, it turned out amazing and tasted out of this world. My family gobbled every last one like there was no tomorrow! This recipe is REALLY simple, you just have to have the arm strength to mix the dough, that was a workout for my arms in itself! Chocolate chip cookies have proven popular with adults, kids, teens… basically everyone, so why not have a go?
Here is the recipe:
Chocolate Chip Cookies
Makes approx. 18 cookies
- 150g soft unsalted butter
- 125g soft light brown sugar
- 100g caster sugar
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 egg (fridge-cold)
- 1 egg yolk (fridge-cold)
- 300g flour
- ½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 x 326 grams packet milk chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 170°C/325°F. Line a baking sheet with baking parchment.
- Melt the butter and let it cool a bit. Put the brown and white sugars into a bowl, pour the slightly cooled, melted butter over them and beat together.
- Beat in the vanilla, the cold egg and cold egg yolk until your mixture is light and creamy.
- Slowly mix in the flour and bicarbonate of soda until just blended, then fold in the chocolate chips.
- Scoop the cookie dough into an American quarter-cup measure or a 60ml/quarter cup round icecream scoop and drop onto the prepared baking sheet, plopping the cookies down about 8cm/3 inches apart. You will need to make these in multiple batches, so keep the bowl of cookie dough in the fridge between baking the batches.
- Bake for 15–17 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the edges are lightly toasted. Cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to wire racks.
Recipe from: https://www.nigella.com/recipes/chocolate-chip-cookies
An important tip from the amazing Nigella Lawson: