With the Rio Olympic Games dawning upon us in just over a week in addition to the Games being one of the most recognised sporting events worldwide, it only made sense to whip up something that reflected this right? So I decided to make cutesy little vanilla cupcakes! Feel free to make these bad boys whilst nervously watching your country compete for gold, I’m obviously Team GB wooo, go Great Britain!! (Good luck to whoever you’re supporting!)
As if these cupcakes haven’t excited me enough, I’ve also recently started this whole Instagram thing. I think it’s definitely a great way to showcase other pictures I’m not able to show here, you know, in case I’m rambling on for too long, but yeah having an online gallery seemed like an awesome idea! Check it out, like, follow, comment or whatever instagrammers do at ‘travels.and.treats’, I’m sure you won’t be disappointed!
Anyways, back to the cupcakes!
Here is the recipe:
Vanilla Cupcakes: Rio Olympic Style!
Makes 12 cupcakes
For the cupcakes:
- 175g softened butter
- 175g caster sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 175g self-raising flour
For the buttercream:
- 125g unsalted butter, room temperature
- 250g icing sugar, sifted
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1/2 tbsp vanilla extract
- Gold shimmer spray (optional)
- 12 Olympic edible cake toppers, to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 170 C / Gas 3.
- Put the butter and sugar into a mixer and whizz up until light and fluffy.
- Pour in the vanilla extract and add the eggs – whizz again to make a yellow batter.
- Add the flour and mix until it is smooth, about 5 minutes. Stop once in the middle of this and scrape the sides down using a spatula. The longer mixing time enables air to get into the mixture which will make it lighter. Pour into fairy or cupcake cases.
- Bake for about 14 minutes. Keep an eye on them. They will be perfect when they bounce back to the touch and the top still looks slightly sticky. This will ensure they keep their moisture.
- Leave on a cooling rack for 30 minutes or until cool.
- Whilst the cupcakes are cooling, to make the buttercream icing, use a stand mixer or hand mixer to soften the butter in a large bowl and mix for 5 minutes so it gains some volume and goes pale in colour.
- Add half the icing sugar mixture and mix on medium for 5 minutes. Then add the rest of the icing sugar along with a tbsp of milk and a tbsp of vanilla extract.
- Continue mixing for 5 minutes until it’s all well combined and ready to be piped! Just to note, I used a Wilton 1M (No. 2110) Swirl tip nozzle to pipe my buttercream icing however feel free to design your cupcakes the way YOU want but if you want to do it the way it’s shown in the picture below, here’s a YouTube clip showing the same technique here. As also seen in the picture below, the cupcakes have a nice gold colouring to them so if you’re using a gold shimmer spray, now would be the step to use it.
- And to finish, just pop the cake toppers (they’re really cheap from eBay – £2.48 for 12 cake toppers) into the centre of each cupcake and voila! You’re ready to watch the Olympics while conveniently munching away on vanilla cupcakes decorated Olympics style!
Cupcakes from: http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/22615/vanilla-cupcakes.aspx
Buttercream icing from: http://www.thescranline.com/#!buttercream-frosting-recipe/c21w4
Happy baking and I wish each and every country participating in the 2016 Rio Olympic Games good luck!