I know exam season is still not over for some around the world and even here in the UK (and I wish you guys a massive good luck!) but mine have been over for a few days now, so of course I’m celebrating with the most sweet, fudgey, chocolatey treat I could get my hands on! And yes they’re chocolate fudge cupcakes. I’m getting my essay/coursework results tomorrow which are going to contribute to my overall exam mark so I’m keeping a few of these in case they don’t go as planned and I need something to weep into, but fingers crossed eh!
Here is the recipe:
Chocolate fudge cupcakes recipe
Makes 12 cupcakes
For the cakes:
- 200g butter (unsalted), softened
- 200g dark chocolate
- 100ml hot water
- 200g unrefined light muscovado sugar
- 2 eggs, medium
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 250g self-raising flour
For the chocolate fudge icing:
- 200g dark chocolate (broken into small squares)
- 100ml double cream
- 50g icing sugar
- Chocolate sprinkles (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 160 C/gas mark 3 and line a tin with 12 cupcake cases.
- In a saucepan, gently melt the butter, chocolate, sugar and 100ml hot water, stirring occasionally until the chocolate has melted and is evenly mixed (excuse the messy stove, I live in a student house).
- Beat together the eggs and vanilla extract, then pour into the melted chocolate mixture and stir until evenly combined.
- Sift the flour into a large mixing bowl, then pour in the melted chocolate mixture and stir until smooth and evenly mixed.
- Spoon the mixture into the cupcake cases until they are 2/3 full. Set aside to cool for 5 minutes before placing in the oven for 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cupcakes comes out clean. Leave to cool for 5 minutes before transferring onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the icing, carefully melt the dark chocolate over a pan of barely simmering water. Take off the heat and stir in the double cream and icing sugar. Mix until evenly combined and then set aside to cool and thicken for a few minutes.
- Pipe the icing on top of each cupcake using a piping bag and star nozzle. Decorate with the chocolate sprinkles or any other decorations that take your fancy.
Cupcakes adapted from: https://www.bakingmad.com/chocolate-fudge-cupcakes-recipe/
Definitely worth treating yourselves to these lovely rich cupcakes. I may have been a bit naughty and stole one before actually taking the picture, I just can’t seem to help myself these days! Anyways, enjoy!!